Saturday, June 01, 2013

Rest In Peace

Since this blog is my photo journal I must include this post although it is hard to write.  Last week we said goodbye to my Grandma for the last time!  Her funeral was so lovely.  Her Great Granddaughter Maddie sand "How Great thou Art" and our good friend Joel sang "Ave Maria" which is one of Grandma's favorite songs. 

She battled a pesky knee infection and was in the hospital the last two months of her life.  She put up a good fight but her 87 year old body was tired and ready to rest. It was hard to see her in the hospital so confused and helpless.  The pain medication she got to help the knee pain made her so confused and out of sorts.  Being the healthcare professional that I am I wanted her "fixed".  I was annoyed when the doctors didn't listen to me and when the nurses weren't on their A game!  I wish I could have been her personal nurse for 2 months but with Cara and Will it was not possible. 

She hated having her picture taken but I treasure these pictures, some of the last memories we have together.  This is on our birthday February 8th!
At Will's baptism

 and meeting William for the first time

My grandma was such an amazing woman!  In about 10 years she birthed 8 babies!  Those 8 children went on to give her 26 grandchildren and 4 step grandchildren, 41 great grandchildren and 19 step great grandchildren and one step great great grandchild.  She was so loved by so many.  She was very active in her church, St Joseph's Catholic Church.  Along with a group of ladies she started the volunteer program at Witham Hospital and volunteered in their gift shop for over 50 years.  She was active in her sorority, BSP, and the Boone County Cancer Society.  She was a great example of what it means to be a pillar in the community and a pillar of the family.  She buried her husband, my grandfather 10 years ago and she was ready to be with him again.  The last days of her life she was talking about Heaven and being ready to be with her parents, husband, and those other family members who have gone before her.  She lived a fulfilled and loved life and although no one was ready to say goodbye we all knew it was her time.  May you rest in peace Grandma until we are together again!


No comments: